According to Statista, Starbucks has almost 33,000 stores around the world and is still expanding, pandemic or not. There are many professional Starbucks positions to fill and great news for those wondering how to get a job at Starbucks.
However, while this huge and thriving company is constantly on the hunt for talent, it will face some competition, as Starbucks hires less than 10% of the more than 1 million applicants annually.
So if you want to be among the select few who are hired at Starbucks, you may want to prepare before submitting your Starbucks application.
In this quick guide, we’ll walk you through the application process and provide you with valuable tips and examples that will elevate your resume, cover letter, and job interview above the competition.
In this article, you will learn:
- How to apply for a job at Starbucks;
- What to do to make your application stand out;
- Most Starbucks jobs on demand;
- What can you do to prepare for a Starbucks job interview?
- How to Write a Resume and Cover Letter for Starbucks;
- What salary can you expect at Starbucks?
How to apply for a job at Starbucks
Okay, the first thing we need to clarify is that you can no longer apply for a job at your local Starbucks. Everyone who wants to be hired there must apply by completing a Starbucks job application form online.
I know, bummer. It is difficult to show your charisma through an online application, for that you will have to wait until face to face or virtual job interview. But there are other ways to do it. We will get to that in a moment.
With that said, if you really want to increase your chances of making it to the interview stage at Starbucks and eventually being hired, you need to apply first.
Here are the steps you need to take when applying for a job at Starbucks:
- Step: Start by going to Starbucks ” Career page.
- He passed: Choose whether you want to work in a store or in a corporate office.
- He passed: Review career listings, add your zip code, and apply at the store you want to work for. In fact, you are allowed to apply for more than one job.
- He passed: Launch the application. You will need an email and you will be asked to create an account.
- He passed: Sign the electronic consent form.
- He passed: Enter your personal information. Your first and last name, address, phone number, and SSN.
How to Make Your Starbucks Online Application Stand Out
Those steps were easy. But how do you fill out the questionnaire so that you can stand out?
A Starbucks store supervisor on Quora recommends the following:
- Make it clear that you are a people person and that you like to connect with them on a daily basis.
- Have an open availability.
- Show that you are good at multitasking.
- Apply to multiple stores to increase your chances of being hired.
Lastly, when we said that you can no longer apply for a job at your local Starbucks, we did not mean that you are not allowed to enter the store you applied for and report to the manager. In fact, this was also a recommendation from a Starbucks manager on Reddit.
She also recommends waiting about a week after submitting your application before calling or going in person and avoiding doing it on weekends.
Presenting in person allows the manager to connect a face to the application. It also shows that you are committed to getting the job. Just make sure you are prepared in case you are interviewed on the spot. Don’t forget to wear your business casual clothes and bring a pen and a copy or two of your resume.
The most common job at Starbucks is a barista. However, because Starbucks is a large global company, there are many titles and jobs. From corporate office jobs to Starbucks marketing jobs.
Here are four of the most popular and on-demand jobs at Starbucks:
Starbucks Barista (job description)
As a Starbucks Barista you will represent the nature and character of Starbucks. In other words, you will be the personification of the virtues, mission and values of the company. The job of a barista is not only about making great coffee, but also about connecting with the customer. Other job duties include:
- Provide excellent customer service
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace
- Communicate information to the store manager
Starbucks Shift Supervisor (job description)
If you are someone who wants to gain leadership experience, the Starbucks Shift Supervisor Position is a great way to start. The role will allow you to lead a team and make decisions about store operations. The great thing about this position is that you will be able to interact with both clients and partners. Other job duties include:
- Help with the training of new employees
- Execution of store operations during the shift
- Tracking the baristas during their shift
Starbucks Assistant Store Manager (job description)
For those who are already familiar with a leadership position, the next step is to Starbucks Assistant Store Manager. In this role, you will hone your management skills so that in the future you can manage your own store. You will be in charge of managing store operations and leading a team. Other job duties include:
- Hiring and training of new employees
- Solving customer problems
- Make sure company policies are followed
Starbucks Store Manager (job description)
As a Starbucks Store Manager, the store is practically yours. At least that’s how you should do it. You will take care of the day-to-day operations and even be responsible for your financial results. You will also choose the team that will work under you. Other job duties include:
- Supervisory team and director
- Resolution of employee complaints and concerns
- Inventory management
Tips and Examples for Starbucks Resumes and Cover Letters
The key to writing a great resume and cover letter for Starbucks is no different than writing one for any other job: adapt them to the job advertisement.
And trust me, even if you are not knowledgeable about cappuccinos and pumpkin spice lattes, you are sure to have qualities that align with company values to add to the skills section of your Starbucks resume. What:
- Communication skills: Starbucks prides itself on providing the best customer service. It can’t be done without prioritizing employees who are good at communication.
- Puntuality: People need their coffee fix, and sometimes they need it very early. If they can’t get it because an employee is late, there will be repercussions.
- Teamwork: Starbucks did not become a multinational company for being a lone wolf. Teamwork has been essential for its growth.
- Passion: A cup of coffee in a place with grumpy baristas is not so pleasant. Customers will leave and revenue will be lost. It makes sense for Starbucks to seek passionate employees.
Alright, now that you know you have skills that align with the job, it’s time to pick the perfect resume for the job you’re applying for.
Are you applying to be a Starbucks barista? Next, your resume should highlight your interpersonal skills, as well as your attention to detail. Like this Starbucks Barista Resume Sample.
If you are applying as a Starbucks shift supervisor, assistant manager, or store manager, your resume should emphasize your experience and team management. A bit like this sample barista manager resume who was hired at Starbucks.
For more information on resumes, see this complete guide on how to write a resume.
As for your cover letter, you need to make sure you reference the job description. Then try to answer the following questions:
- Who are you?
- Why are you submitting this request?
- Why do you want the job and are you already familiar with it?
- What are your previous experiences that align with this job?
- Why should it be considered?
Just make sure you are concise and direct.
In the end, it should look like this barista cover letter example.
How to Prepare for a Starbucks Job Interview
With the exception of the Starbucks online assessment test and being a skilled latte artist, preparing for an interview at Starbucks should be no different than any other job.
In addition to reading a job interview guide, here’s what you can do to land a Starbucks job interview.
Study the job description
Understanding the ins and outs of your potential job is very important as it allows you to answer interview questions in a way that resonates with the expectations of the company. This alone can impress a Starbucks hiring manager and put you above your competition.
Print your resume
This tip is gold, as the Starbucks recruiter will likely use a copy of your resume as a guide on what questions to ask.
Having your resume handy will allow you to remove that information from your head, so that you can focus on the interview instead. By not grabbing a copy of your resume, it can be difficult to remember dates and other details from previous jobs that can lead you awkwardly in interview questions.
Wear business casual clothes
Cafeteria jobs are generally forgiving when it comes to this part of the interview process. They don’t expect me to come in in a formal suit. However, it is recommended to look presentable and relaxed. In other words, try going for a business casual look.
With that said, let us recommend what to wear for a Starbucks interview:
- Bottom: dress pants, presentable skirt, or dark jeans
- Top: solid button down shirt or conservative blouse; blue, gray, black or white.
- Brown or black dress shoes
In the end, as long as you are well-groomed and exude confidence, you don’t have to worry.
Review common interview questions
There are hundreds of job interview questions hiring managers like to ask, making it impossible to prepare for all of them.
However, the most common Starbucks interview questions tend to be situation-based, such as:
- Can you describe a time when you had to collaborate as a team?
- Could you tell me about a time when you reached a great goal?
- Have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer?
- Tell me about a difficult challenge you had to overcome.
- How would you approach a colleague who does something wrong?
When answering these questions, keep in mind The Starbucks store manager wrote on Reddit, “Ultimately, a Starbucks interview is about finding the real “you” and making sure you can make real connections. Talk about yourself, but be real. Get them to know your hobbies, passions, pets and life, so they know you.“.
Prepare for the online assessment test
TO Virtual proof of work The online evaluation test is sometimes used to allow applicants to “take a test drive” of their potential job, while also allowing Starbucks to evaluate candidates.
They basically give you a list of scenarios that you might encounter at work and your answers will show if you have what it takes.
This test is not always delivered, however you may want to prepare for it. Just in case.
- Again, go over the job description and note the key tasks you will need to complete for the job.
- There are general tests you can take online, where you can take numerical, personality, situational, reasoning, and profiling tests.
- Look for samples of previous Starbucks tests to better understand what types of questions will be asked.
How much does Starbucks pay? (Starbucks salaries)
Based on career history, Starbucks employee salaries vary. With Starbucks, the average starting salary is $ 11 an hour for baristas and as high as $ 30 an hour for store managers.
Although in addition to the payment, working at Starbucks has some other advantages, such as 30% discounts on Starbucks products, beverages and food. Also, if you work more than 20 hours a week, you qualify for benefits. That means you get dental, vision, and your choice of health insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions: How to Get a Job at Starbucks
Is it difficult to get hired at Starbucks?
Despite Starbucks constantly looking for talent, it can be difficult to get a job at the multinational company, as it hires less than 10% of its more than 1,000,000 applicants.
What qualifications do you need to work at Starbucks?
You must be at least 16 years old to work at Starbucks. Other than that, no work experience is required for entry-level positions. However, as you apply for higher positions, experience plays a bigger role in your hiring.
Does Starbucks have a dress code?
Starbucks has become more lenient with its dress code. Everyone is expected to wear the green apron. However, below you have a large selection of clothing to choose from, as long as it is not torn or worn. You can wear gray, black, beige, brown, navy blue, and white clothing.